Watch out for signs and symptoms of heat stroke this summer.
Heat stroke in seniors can lead to possible death. That being said, it is very important to notice the signs and symptoms before it is too late to treat.
- Red, hot, and dry skin
- Rapid, shallow breathing
- Rapid heartbeat, which may be either strong or weak
- Throbbing headache
- Dizziness and light-headedness
- Confusion, disorientation, or staggering
- Lack of sweating despite the heat
Why are aging adults more prone to heat stroke?
- Seniors do not adjust as fast as younger people to sudden changes in temperature.
- Their normal body responses to heat tend to change when they have a chronic medical condition.
- Some of the prescription drugs they take may have an effect to the body’s ability to control its temperature or sweat.
If you suspect heat stroke in seniors, immediately call 911.
Since this could be fatal, knowing how to deliver first aid is very important. The aim of this procedure is to lower the patient’s body temperature.
- Move the person to a cool, shady environment.
- Remove excess clothing.
- Wet the patient’s skin and fan air if possible or immerse the patient in cool water.
Prevention is always better than cure.
To be able to combat heat stroke in seniors, it is best for them to in an air-conditioned environment most especially if the heat index is high. For outdoor activities, seniors can:
- Wear loose-fitting clothes that are lightweight.
- Drink more fluids. (Always check with your doctor if increasing fluid intake is suitable for you as it can cause further complication if not taken in right amounts.)
- Apply sunscreen.
- Avoid alcoholic and caffeinated beverages as it can make you lose more fluids and worsen heat-related illness.
Looking for a safe environment and around the clock assistance for your aging loved one?
Heat stroke is a life-threatening emergency. People at risk, most especially seniors, should be watched over to avoid further casualties. At Harmony Guest Home, we make sure our residents are safe and secured with the suitable amount of freedom and independence. Come and visit our facility to get to know more about our services and staff. You can also talk to us through 503-648-3413 and email@example.com.